Communications 911 - Frequently Asked Questions

Citizens are encouraged to call 5-1-1 for road conditions/closings or follow their Twitter Account @ https://twitter.com/511WI

Information on school/business closings can usually be found on any local media website. The Communications Center does not typically get notice on that type of information.

 

Yes, Rock County has implemented Text-to-911.

Read the Press Release [pdf] for details.

 

The Rock County Communications Center handles around 1,000 calls a day.

The busiest day of the week is Friday with just over 15% of the overall calls. The busiest hours, on average, are 10am – 7pm.

In 2013 the Center handled over 385,000 incoming & outgoing calls. About 56,000 of those calls were 911 calls.

In 2013 approximately 86% of 911 calls are placed by a wireless device, while the remaining 14% are placed by landline or internet devices.

The Communications Center typically does 1-2 recruitments a year to fill openings and/or eligibility lists. The hiring process can take up to 3-4 months, so it is advantageous to have an eligibility list at all times.

Check http://www.co.rock.wi.us/hr for job postings. If there are no postings, request a job interest card that will send you an electronic notification when the Communications Center conducts new recruitment.

No, you should never hang-up after dialing 9-1-1 until told to do so by the 9-1-1 Call Taker.

Even if you decide after dialing that your call is not an emergency or you mis-dialed, you should stay on the phone and let the Call Taker know what happened.

The Rock County Communications Center is the county's single 9-1-1 Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP), so all 9-1-1 calls placed within Rock County are answered by our Center.

We dispatch for all police, fire & EMS agencies in Rock County:

LAW AGENCIES
BELOIT POLICE
CLINTON POLICE
EDGERTON POLICE
EVANSVILLE POLICE
JANESVILLE POLICE
MILTON POLICE
ORFORDVILLE POLICE
ROCK COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
ROCK RIVER SAFETY PATROL
TOWN OF BELOIT POLICE
TOWN OF FULTON POLICE
TOWN OF MILTON POLICE
TOWN OF TURTLE POLICE

FIRE & EMS AGENCIES
BELOIT FIRE/EMS
CLINTON FIRE/EMS
EDGERTON FIRE/EMS
EVANSVILLE FIRE
EVANSVILLE EMS
FOOTVILLE FIRE/EMS
JANESVILLE FIRE/EMS
MILTON FIRE/EMS
ORFORDVILLE FIRE/EMS
TOWN OF BELOIT FIRE/EMS
TOWN OF TURTLE FIRE

 

The selection process includes computer keyboard testing (40wpm), computerized multi-tasking exam, (2) interview(s), criminal and work history background check.

Once the initial screening has been completed, the top applicant will be given a contingent offer of employment and will be required to undergo a physical, psychological, and drug screening prior to an official offer of employment.

The process is very similar to a law enforcement officer.

The Telecommunicators and Call Takers receive initial orientation and on-the-job training when they are hired by the Communications Center.

There is on-going training both in-house and outside of the Communications Center for all employees to remain up-to-date on knowledge of various public safety subjects and to continue to enhance other job related skills.

There are also mandatory certifications required in CPR, EMD (Emergency Medical Dispatch) and State of Wisconsin's (TIME) information data system.

Call takers are required to verify caller information on every call. While our Landline 9-1-1 information is extremely accurate, we still need to be sure the location of the incident is at the location on our 9-1-1 telephone system, we cannot assume (sometimes callers call for neighbors or different locations or the telephone company has not updated the information yet).

The Wireless 9-1-1 information received at the 9-1-1 Center does not provide the same information as Landline 9-1-1. The Center receives the wireless provider's name (ie; US Cellular) along with GPS (Global Positioning System) information that is populated onto a map. While this information is usually quite accurate (usually within 100 meters - ie; football field), we cannot assume and must verify caller location in order to send responders to the proper location.

Go to top