Voter Information

VoteIf you have questions regarding voting in Rock County,
please call the County Clerk's Office at (608) 757-5660.

Government Accountability Board  |  US Elections Assistance Commission

Absentee Voter Information

Who Can Vote?

  • You must be a U.S. Citizen.
  • You must be 18 years old on Election Day.
  • You have been a resident of your election district for 28 days prior to the election.
  • You have not lost your right to vote.  i.e. a convicted felon.

Where Do I Vote?

All Wisconsin Residents can access the My Vote Wisconsin website. Enter your name and birthdate, or your address, and you'll be directed to your polling place. 

  • City of Janesville Residents:  Call (608) 755-3070 or go to the City of Janesville website. 
  • City of Beloit Residents:  Call (608) 364-6680 or go the City of Beloit website. 
  • You may contact your municipal clerk.  If you live in Rock County and do not know how to contact your municipal clerk, please call the County Clerk's Office at (608) 757-5660 or reference the Rock County Directory.

When Do I Vote?

Election Day is always on a Tuesday unless a Special Election or a Referendum Is held. 

  • Spring Elections:
    • Primary:  3rd Tuesday in February (February 18, 2014 & February 17, 2015)
    • General:  1st Tuesday in April (April 1, 2014 & April 7, 2015) 
  • Fall Elections are in even numbered years:
    • Primary:   2nd Tuesday in August (August 12, 2014)
    • General:   1st Tuesday after the 1st Monday in November (November 4, 2014)

How Do I Vote?

Do I need to bring an I.D.?

  • Currently the requirement to show valid ID is suspended and being debated in the courts. No photo ID is required at this time.

How do I cast a vote if I have pre-registered?

  • Check in at the polling place by giving the election official your name and address.
  • You will be asked to sign one poll book prior to being assigned a voting number.
  • You will be assigned a voting number, be given a ballot, and directed to the voting booth.
  • Enter the voting booth and mark your ballot.
  • Insert your ballot into the optical reader.

What if I need help?

  • If you need assistance of any kind, have a visual or physical disability, do not speak English, or have trouble understanding the English language, ask the election officials for help. 
  • You may select someone to assist you in voting.  That individual may not be your employer or an agent of your employer or an officer or agent of a union representing you. 

What if I make a mistake?

  • If you make a mistake, return your ballot to the election official.
  • Tell the inspector you made a mistake and request a new ballot. 
  • An election official is allowed to give you up to three replacement ballots if errors are made or the ballot is defective. 

Where Do I Register?

Please contact your municipal clerk to register to vote.  If you do not know how to contact your municipal clerk, please call the County Clerk's Office at (608) 757-5660 or reference the Rock County Directory.

As of 2005, all municipalities in Wisconsin are required to register voters in accordance with federal law.  If you have not registered at a prior election, you will be required to register at the Spring Election.  Bring your Wisconsin Driver’s License or License I.D. Card that states a current address.

As of January 1, 2003, the federal "Help American Vote Act of 2002" requires any person registering to vote to:

  1. Supply their Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation issued Driver’s license or identification card number.  If the elector has NEVER been issued a Wisconsin driver’s license or I.D. Card, they may then provide the last four digits of their Social Security number/ or as is indicated on the form, if the elector has neither a driver’s license nor a social security number, the elector may provide other forms of ID as listed below. **The voter registration application can not be processed by the clerk until the elector provides this information and answers the following questions.  
  2. The following questions need to be answered:
    Are you a citizen of the United States of America?
    Will you be 18 years of age on or before Election Day?

There are several methods for registering to vote.

  1. You may make a written request to the municipal clerk and register by mail, providing a copy of your Wisconsin Driver’s License or Driver’s License I.D. Card or the last four digits of your Social Security Number if you have never been issued a driver’s license. The Voter Registration must be received by 5:00 p.m. in the Clerk’s office on the 20th day before the election.
  2. You may go in person to the Municipal Clerk’s office and register no later than 5:00 p.m. on the FRIDAY before the election providing the same identification as listed above, or
  3. You may register at the polling place on Election Day by providing your Wisconsin "Driver’s License" or "Driver’s License I.D. Card" that shows that you have lived at your present location for at least 28 days preceding the election.

For the purpose of voter registration, the I.D. forms that you present must contain the following information to constitute acceptable proof of residence.

  1. A current and complete name: and,
  2. A current and complete residential address, numbered street address and name of municipality. A "P.O.Box" is not acceptable.

The following forms of identification that constitute acceptable proof of residence must contain your complete name and your current address.

  1. A Wisconsin Driver’s License
  2. A Wisconsin I.D. Card issued by the Div. Of Motor Vehicles
    If you have never been issued a Wisconsin driver's license, you may use one of the following: 
  3. A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year preceding the election
  4. A residential lease which is effective for a period that includes Election Day.
  5. A gas, electric or telephone service statement for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before Election Day.



Rock County, State of Wisconsin
All Rights Reserved