Work Permits

Work Permit Requirements

  • Proof of Age.  The minor must bring a birth certificate, baptismal record or drivers license. 
  • Letter from the minor’s employer stating the intent to hire the minor.  The letter should also state the job duties, hours of work, and the time of day that the minor will be working.
  • Letter from the minor’s parent, guardian or court-ordered foster parent, while the minor is under their care, giving consent for the minor to work.  As an alternative, the parent may co-sign the letter of permission.
  • The minor must present a Social Security Card.

The Work permit fee is $10.00

  • The minor’s employer is required to reimburse the minor for the cost of  the work permit fee. 
  • The reimbursement to the minor should occur no later than the minor’s first check.

Where to Get a Birth Certificate


Rock County, State of Wisconsin
All Rights Reserved