Marriage Line: 608-757-5666


Where to Apply

WISCONSIN MARRIAGES ONLY. The couple must apply together and in person.

One or Both Applicants are Wisconsin Residents
Application must be made in the county where one party has resided for at least 30 days. The wedding ceremony can take place anywhere in the State of Wisconsin.

Both Applicants are Non-Residents of Wisconsin
Application must be made in the county where the wedding ceremony will take place.

Rock County applicants apply at:
Rock County Clerk’s Office
51 S. Main Street, 2nd Floor
Janesville, WI 53545
Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm

If the parties are applying for a marriage license in a different Wisconsin county, please contact that county for location, application times and fees.

When to Apply - Waiting Period

The marriage license is valid for 30 days from the date of application. There is a five-day waiting period following the date of application. This means that the applicants must apply for the license at least six (6) days prior to the date of the wedding, and no more than 30 days before the date of the wedding, to meet the requirements of state law. Our office is not open Saturdays or Sundays, so please account for that time when applying.


  • Arrangements for your wedding must be set prior to applying for a marriage license. Please bring the name, address and telephone number of the person performing your ceremony, as well as the physical location of the ceremony. If you have no one to perform your ceremony, a Court Commissioner may be available. Please call the County Clerk's office for the Court Commissioner's information. Two witnesses, 18 years of age or older, need to witness the marriage and sign the marriage license at the time of the ceremony.
  • Non-expired photo ID and Social Security number. If an applicant has never been issued a Social Security number, the space will be marked “none.”
  • Proof of where you have physically lived for the 30 days prior to application, such as a driver’s license, lease, utility bill or bank statement. You must also know the name of the city, village or township and county where you reside.
  • Certified birth certificate issued by the state or county where born. Birth certificates must be legible, not tattered and torn. If an applicant was born outside the United States and does not have a certified birth certificate, a passport, green card or naturalization papers may be used in lieu of the birth certificate. If your birth certificate does not include full names of parent(s) and/or the mother’s maiden name, you will need to obtain this information before applying.
    ***Hospital issued birth certificates and photocopies of birth certificates are not acceptable.***
  • If previously married, a divorce judgment, legal annulment or death certificate from the most recent marriage must be provided. The divorce judgment or legal annulment must include the Judge’s signature. Divorced persons may not remarry until six (6) months + one (1) day after the granting of the divorce, regardless of where the action took place.
  • The legal age for marriage in Wisconsin is 18. If an applicant is 16 or 17 years of age, a consent form needs to be signed by the parent(s) or guardian(s) before the County Clerk.
  • If one or both of the applicants do not speak English, a third party needs to interpret at the time of application. Couples cannot translate for each other.


Effective January 1, 2018, the license fee is $100 payable by cash, money order or local check. Out of town checks and credit/debit cards are not accepted. Payment is due upon application and is non-refundable.

Exceptions - Waiver of Waiting Period

A waiver of the waiting period may be granted for an additional fee of $25. Some reasons that a waiver may be granted are:

  • one or both applicants live in another state and are coming here to marry;
  • one or both applicants is/are in the military; or
  • an applicant is terminally ill.

If you need to request a waiver for any other reason, please call our office at 608-757-5660 for preapproval.

The County Clerk’s office does close for holidays, so please check with us before coming in to apply for a marriage license if you believe it could be a holiday.


Go to top