As of June 23, 2017, work permits are no longer issued to minors ages 16 and 17.
Processing Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
The minor MUST be present and bring the following documents:
- Proof of Age: WI state identification, birth certificate or baptismal record.
- Social Security Card: minor must present the physical card as requested by Wisconsin State Law.
- Letter from the Employer: signed letter of hire on the company's letterhead, including job duties, hours of work, and the time of day the minor will be working.
- Letter from Parent/Guardian: signed letter giving consent to the minor to work.
- Work permit fee is $10: cash, check, money order, or debit/credit card to the Rock County Clerk. The employer shall reimburse the permit fee to the minor no later than the first paycheck. (A service fee will be charged for all debit/credit card transactions.)
- Name and school district in which the minor is enrolled.
References: 2017 Wisconsin Act 11, WI Department of Workforce Development, Wisconsin Statutes Section 103.64 - 103.82, Wis. Admin. Code Chapter DWD 270.
Visit the Register of Deeds for more information
on where to obtain a Birth Certificate.