- To represent those who can no longer represent themselves.
- To perform independent investigations in accordance with Wisconsin Statutes to determine the cause and manner of death and ensure that the circumstances surrounding the death are explained.
- To ensure that investigations are carried out in a professional manner with compassion for the surviving loved ones during their time of grief.
- To provide quality services as required by law or mandated by the public in order to enhance the health, safety, and general well being of the citizens and guests of Rock County.
- To work in partnership with other organizations toward the reduction of preventable deaths.
- To provide educational presentations and serve as a resource to the public regarding the field of medicolegal death investigation.
Our purpose is to serve our fellow citizens by protecting the public's health and safety, participating in the criminal justice and health systems, and providing data for statistical purposes.
In accordance with Wisconsin Statute 979.01 and 979.10
The Coroner’s Office conducts independent death investigations in Rock County. The purpose of these investigations is to determine the cause and manner of death and ensure that the circumstances surrounding the death are understood and explained.
3530 N County Highway F
Janesville, WI 53545
Phone: (608) 757-5908
Fax: (608) 758-8438
Chief Deputy Coroner
Louis C. Smit,
F-ABMDI, NAME Affiliate