District Attorney - Frequently Asked Questions

When can I speak with the prosecuting attorney assigned to my case?

If you are a defendant and have hired an attorney, our office will not be able to speak with you because it would be a conflict of interest.  We are only able to speak with your attorney regarding your case.

Can I talk to someone prior to my initial court appearance?

No.  If you are charged with a crime, you have the right to be represented by an attorney.  The Court will fully advise you or your rights at your initial appearance.

I have been charged with a crime.  I would like an attorney to represent me, but I cannot afford one.   What can I do?

There are two ways for you to retain an attorney to represent you in a criminal action.  However, that is based on eligibility.  If it is determined that you are not eligible, you will need to hire your own attorney, if so desired.

  1. You may go directly to the State Public Defender's Office located at 101 E. Milwaukee Street, Suite 301, Janesville, Wisconsin, or you can contact them at (608) 758-6170.   They will discuss the steps you need to take to determine if you are eligible for public defender representation.
  2. If you are not eligible for public defender representation, the public defender's office will give you a form called Petition for Appointment of Counsel.  You need to file that form with the Clerk of Courts Office, and provide our office with a copy.  The Judge will then appoint an attorney to represent you in court, if you qualify.  To obtain specific information on the eligibility requirements, contact the Public Defenders Office at (608) 758-6170.

What happens if I miss my court appearance?

  • If your court appearance was a mandatory appearance, a bench warrant may be ordered for your arrest.
  • If you have an attorney, you will need to contact your attorney in order to arrange to have the bench warrant recalled.
  • If you were required to appear before a judge, and an attorney does not represent you, you will need to contact the judicial assistant at (608) 743-2225 to have your case scheduled in order to have the bench warrant recalled.
  • If you were required to appear before a court commissioner, and an attorney does not represent you, you may request our office to schedule an appearance in order to have the bench warrant recalled.

Keep in mind that in all instances, the bench warrant remains until it is actually recalled in court.

If I have an Ordinance, DNR, Speeding or OWI first offense ticket(s), when can I talk to the prosecutor handling it?

If at the initial appearance you enter a not guilty plea and ask for a court trial, your case will be referred to our office.  If an attorney does not represent you, you may contact our office (one week later) to set up an appointment to try and resolve your case before the court trial.  If an attorney represents you, then only your attorney can contact our office to discuss your case with our attorney.

Are your records open to the public?

No, our files are not open to the public.  If you are looking for information regarding a closed case, you may contact the Clerk of Courts Criminal Division or Traffic Division at (608) 743-2200. If you want information on a pending criminal case please contact the Clerk of Courts Criminal Division at (608) 743-2200.

The only person who may be allowed to look at our files is the attorney who is representing the defendant.

Does your office handle child support issues?

No, our office does not handle child support matters.  Any child support questions should be directed either to your attorney or the Child Support office.  That phone number is (608) 757-5700.
Our office only becomes involved in child support matters when a criminal child support case has been referred to us.

Does your office handle civil matters?

No, our office does not handle civil matters.  You will need to contact a private attorney for these matters.

How do I file a small claims action?

If you would like to commence a small claims action against another party you can obtain and file the paperwork with the Clerk of Courts Office.  You may also contact the Clerk of Courts Small Claims division at (608) 743-2200 for more information.

How can I go about getting an extension of time to pay for my court fines?

You need to contact the Clerk of Courts Office at (608) 743-2200 to ask for an extension to pay for court fines.  Our office does not take in money to pay for fines.  All fines must be paid to the Rock County Clerk of Courts.

How do I go about requesting a pardon?

You will need to file an application for executive clemency with the Governor's Office.  If you have questions, you may telephone the Governor's Office at (608) 266-1212 or write to:  Office of the Governor, Pardon Advisory Board, 115 East State Capitol, P.O. Box 7863, Madison, WI  53707, for assistance.

I have been getting a lot of phone calls from telemarketers.  What can I do to get them to stop calling me?

Consumers can sign up on Wisconsin's No Call List through the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection.  A consumer may sign up by visiting the Wisconsin No Call List website at: https://nocall.wisconsin.gov/web/registration.asp OR by calling 1-866-9NO-CALL (1-866-966-2255).

I can no longer control my son/daughter, what can I do?  Who can I call?

Parents may seek assistance from the Court and the Juvenile Probation Department, by contacting the Rock County Juvenile Probation Department in Beloit at 822 Broad Street, Beloit, WI, (608) 363-6250; or in Janesville at 37 South Main Street, Janesville, WI, (608) 757-5600.

Frequently Requested Phone Numbers


Phone Numbers

WI Attorney General

(608) 266-1221

Code Administration

(608) 755-3060

Consumer Protection Hotline


Janesville Area Crime Stoppers

(608) 756-3636

Beloit Area Crime Stoppers

(608) 362-7463



Lawyer Referral

(608) 257-4666

Non-Emergency 911

(608) 757-2244

Public Defender's Office

(608) 758-6170

Sex Offender Registry

(608) 240-5830



Rock County, State of Wisconsin
All Rights Reserved