Paying Property Taxes

Payment Schedule  |  Where to Pay  |  Payment Options  |  Assistance Programs  |  FAQs  |  Mill Rates

Your tax bill provides information on where and when your taxes are to be paid.

How do I change a name on my property tax bill?

Record a deed in the Register of Deed's Office. Our records reflect the most recently recorded document.

Who do I notify if my address changes?

Address changes for the cities of Beloit and Janesville may be sent to the Treasurer's Office. Address changes for the other 27 municipalities are sent to Real Property.  Email Real Property.

Please include your tax ID number listed on your tax notice and/or valuation notice.

May I pay my property taxes with my credit card?

Charging your property taxes is an electronic option for payment of property taxes if Rock County collects your first installment or if you are paying real estate taxes after January 31. However, you may not pay by credit card in the Treasurer's Office.

Please visit the Property Tax Payment Options page for details.

If I don't receive my tax notice, what should I do?

Real property tax notices and personal property tax notices are mailed in December of each year . If you do not receive the notice by the 27th of December, please contact our office or your local treasurer. If you own property in Wisconsin, you are responsible for the property taxes whether you receive a bill or not.

If I think my taxes are too high, what should I do?

When you receive the valuation notice from the Assessor's office, you should follow the instructions provided on the notice to protest the value placed on your property if you feel the value is incorrect. Property taxes are calculated by using the assessed value of your property. You should also attend the budget meetings of the taxing jurisdictions whose tax levies appear on your tax bill. This includes your school district, technical college, Rock County, your city, town or village and any other district that may appear on your bill.

2015 Property Assessment Appeal Guide for Wisconsin Real Property Owners

If I wish to mail my payment, how can I be sure that it gets in on time?

Our office honors United States Postal Service postmarks, not metered marks. If your payment is postmarked on or before the due date, it will be accepted without penalty. If you mail on the last day the tax is due - please have the Post Office hand cancel your envelope.

What are the Treasurer's office hours?

The Treasurer's office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The office is closed on weekends and County holidays.

Why did I get a tax notice when my mortgage company should pay the taxes?

All tax notices are sent to the property owner. If your mortgage company is to pay the taxes, you should forward a copy of the tax notice to your mortgage company.

Can I tell the mortgage company when I want my taxes paid?

Yes. Contact your mortgage company and ask for the "Tax Escrow Option Notice". This form instructs your lender to pay your taxes in the year of the tax (by Dec 31) OR in full on Jan 31 OR by prescribed installment dates.

What should I send with my check when paying my taxes?

Always include the number (tax ID number) printed on the upper right hand corner of your tax notice. Send a copy of your tax notice or put the tax ID number on the memo line of your check. If paying more than one parcel with one check please list the tax ID numbers and amounts for each parcel. If you are requesting a receipt, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope.

My escrow check is for more than the amount of my tax bill. What happens to the overpayment?

If your escrow company sends the payment to us, the overpayment goes back to your escrow company. If you pay the taxes in person or if you mail us the escrow check, the overpayment is given or sent to you. If a refund is over $500, the refund is held for ten business days to allow for the deposited check to clear the bank. Refunds will not be issued on a personal check.

Go to top