Clean Sweep is an annual drop-off for HAZARDOUS CHEMICALS from homes, farms, and eligible businesses.
Clean Sweep is open to all Rock County residents. Due to high demand, advance registration is required for all events.
The next Clean Sweeps are tentatively set for June and August, 2021.
- To receive an announcement when the sign-up period opens, call us at 608-754-6617 ext. 3 or e-mail [email protected] with subject "Clean Sweep 2021".
- If you need service before June 2021, scroll down to "Year-Round Service."
* * * * * * *
What to bring to Clean Sweep and rates for Homes & Farms (pdf)
Please review what we take and don't take, the recycler list, and priority wastes.
- NOT ACCEPTED AT CLEAN SWEEP - see section below.
- HOUSEHOLD CHEMICAL DISPOSAL guide (pdf) What is generally okay for trash, recycle, drains (septic or city sewer), and what to save for Clean Sweep.
- RECYCLER LIST (pdf) - year-round drop-offs for motor oil, fluorescent bulbs & ballasts, batteries, electronics, paint recycling (latex and oil-based).
- PRIORITY WASTES - Mercury, Alar, Aldicarb, Aldrin, Arsenic family, Atrazine, Bromophos, Cadmium chloride, Captan, Chlorpyrifos, Chlordane, Chlordecone, Creosote, Cyanazine, Cyanide, Daminozide, DDT family, Dicofol, Dieldrin, Dinoseb, Endosulfan, Endrin, Ethylene dibromide (EDB), Fenchlorphos, Heptachlor, Isobenzan, Isodrin, Kelthane, Kepone, Lead paint, Leptophos, Lindane, Metam sodium, Methoxychlor, Mirex, Parathion, Pentachlorophenol (penta), Pendimethalin, Silvex, Sodium fluoride & acetate, Strychnine, Tepp, Thallium sulfate, Toxaphene, Trifluralin; 2,4,5-T or 2,4,5-TP.
- RATES for Clean Sweep loads (box = 12" x 18" x 10" file box or similar sized container)
- One 5-qt pail of items = $5
- Up to 2 boxes or 5-gallon buckets total = $10 each
- 3 boxes or 5-gallon buckets = $40
- More than 3 boxes or 5-gallon buckets = inventory required, vendor rates apply.
- BUSINESS Program (details at bottom).
DO NOT bring:
- NO LATEX PAINT, motor oil, batteries, lamp ballasts, what to do and what to RECYCLE (pdf) / Earth 911 recycle by ZIP code (nationwide).
- NO medications or sharps. Drug drop-off boxes (countywide) / Sharps program (nationwide)
- NO electronics. RECYCLER LIST (local), check with your solid waste hauler or look up services by county (statewide).
- NO smoke alarms, propane or high-pressure cylinders, infectious or biological wastes, explosives (detonators, blasting caps, ammunition), radioactive chemicals/devices.
- HAND SANITIZER RECALL (FDA site, search for "hand sanitizer" then click on brand for details). FDA has detected methanol in certain hand sanitizers and not always listed as an ingredient. Methanol is a poison. Do not apply to skin or ingest. Recalls are in progress. Label container "Do not use - contains methanol." Do not pour down drain. Accepted at Clean Sweep if not able to return in recall. Program disposal rates may apply (see "What to bring and rates" below).
YEAR-ROUND SERVICE is available at Dane County Clean Sweep (608-838-3212). Not affiliated with Rock County Clean Sweep. Non-Dane County resident fee of $75/trip, restrictions and large load fees may apply. $10/trip for Dane County residents. Businesses must use Dane County Business Clean Sweep.All adjoining WI and IL counties have hazardous waste collections for their residents. Programs are not affiliated, separate rates and rules apply.
- WI residents - Dane County, Green County, Jefferson County, and Walworth County.
- IL residents - Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful / 815-637-1343
Who can use Business Clean Sweep? Any Wisconsin business, school or agency that generates -
- under 220 pounds of hazardous waste in a month and
- stores less than 2,205 pounds of hazardous waste in a year
To use sites in Rock County:
- Free no-obligation quote for businesses. Vendor - 715-298-2623. Program questions - 608-754-6617 ext. 4758.
To use Dane County Business Clean Sweep (open year round):
- Dane County Business Clean Sweep
- Appointments required.
- Disposal fees apply.
- Ag chemical discount does not apply for Rock County farms or businesses that use Dane County service.
Empty pesticide containers: Free pick-up of empty and rinsed ag chemical jugs and barrels 55-gallons. Free or low-cost service for IBCs, and shuttles.G. Phillips & Sons, Midwest vendor for Ag Container Recycling Council:
- Jugs and barrels - 248-961-3360, [email protected]
- IBC and shuttles - 678-232-6047, [email protected]
This program is made possible with support from the Cities of Beloit, Edgerton, Janesville, Milton; the Towns of Beloit, Bradford, Center, Fulton, Harmony, Janesville, La Prairie, Rock, and Turtle; Rock County and annual state grants from the DATCP Clean Sweep program. Thank you!
The mention of businesses is not an endorsement by Rock County Land Conservation Department or any agency associated with Clean Sweep. For corrections to content, please call Rock County Land Conservation Department, 608-754-6617 ext. 3.